Bar Memorials: 2009




9:00 o’clock a.m.

Courtroom 2A

Lehigh County Courthouse
















MR. RABER:  Oyez, Oyez, Oyez, all manner of persons having anything to do with  the Honorable Judges of the Court of Common Pleas of the County of Lehigh, Pennsylvania, here holden  this day, let them come forward and they shall be heard. God save the Commonwealth and this Honorable Court.  Please be seated.

PRESIDENT JUDGE PLATT:  Good morning.  On behalf of my colleagues on the Court of Common Pleas and personally, I welcome you to this annual Lehigh County Bar Association Memorial Ceremony.  This is a special session of the Court convened to honor the memories of those members of our Bar Association who passed away during the previous year.  The Court recognizes Susan Maurer, Esquire, President of the Bar Association of Lehigh County.

MS. MAURER:  Thank you, Your Honor.  May it please the Court, President Judge Platt, the Honorable Judges of Lehigh County Court of Common Pleas, former Judges, John Backenstoe and Robert Young, colleagues, families, and friends.  On behalf of the Bar Association, I too would like to welcome you warmly on this rather cold day, and especially to the families of Earnest Ritter, John Thomas and Tom Sadler.

At the outset, I wanted to thank the Court for its continued commitment in this tradition, as well as Attorney John Baker, who works tirelessly every year to organize this event.  As Judge Platt has said, it is the tradition of the Bar Association to gather once a year in February to honor, pay tribute and celebrate the lives of our colleagues who have passed the previous year.

While we are saddened by their loss, this morning we put that aside to remember the good times. The three individuals we memorialize this morning have touched our lives, and we will miss them, but they will not be forgotten. Each, in their own way, has demonstrated a commitment to law and have served as mentors and as role models to many of us.  They leave behind a professional standard that we can all aspire to and many memories that will live on for years to come.  We pass on these reflections to you, their families, and those present, and we take time to celebrate the life they shared with us.

Today we honor the memory of Earnest Ritter, who will be remembered by Malcolm J. Gross, John P. Thomas, who will be remembered by Charles J. Fonzone, and Thomas Sadler Jr., who will be remembered by Theodore Zeller.  Mr. Gross?

MR. GROSS:  Thank you, Attorney Maurer.  May it please the Court?  I’m honored to speak today about  my mentor and friend, Earnest F. Ritter.  Ernie was the county’s first Public Defender.  I met him in 1996, as a “voluntary” defender. The Bar Association had “volunteered” the six of us youngest members to work for free for indigent criminal defendants. Ernie did more than his share of the criminal trial work and all of the administrative load as well.  He liked to say that as first assistant, under four district attorneys, and then, public defender, he had a perfect trial record — all convictions.

He ran for district attorney in 1961, as a Democrat, and lost a tough race to George Joseph.  Ernie said he would enforce the Sunday sales law.  George said   he wouldn’t.  It was the law, but it cost Ernie the election.  That was Ernie. I’ve never known a more dogged fighter for a client in the courtroom.  No matter how hopeless or hapless, Ernie taught us, a poor person is entitled to a good effort.  Ernie tried to give us volunteers, cases in which we had at least a fighting chance, and took the more hopeless ones himself. I recall right after I started, that I represented a sister, and Ernie represented a brother accused of the robbery of a drunken psychiatrist from Allentown State Hospital.

The girl, at least, had only set up the victim, but the boy had actually robbed him. So Ernie gave me the girl, and he took the boy, and I took the lead on the case.

I gave a stem-winding closing, and the jury went out.  Ernie and I headed up to the coffee shop on the 7th floor to wait out a guilty verdict.  Ernie was kind, and as usual, praised my efforts but told me I had one more important task to perform for the defense.  He said the jury would be back quickly with a guilty verdict. I would feel like I had been kicked in the stomach, but “you must be on your feet immediately demanding a poll of the jury before Judge Wieand orders the verdict recorded.”  Once the verdict was recorded, there was no right to a poll and a possible mistrial if a juror flinches. A few minutes later, we were summoned to courtroom 3, the jury filed in, and I perched on the edge of my seat ready for my last stab at a win.  The clerk read the verdict slip “not guilty”.  I can still feel Ernie hanging onto my suit coat and shouting for the whole courtroom to hear, “don’t poll the jury”,”don’t poll the jury.”  To this day, I don’t know if I would have had enough presence of mind to catch myself from doing it.

However, there was a lot more to Ernie Ritter than a fighting trial lawyer.  He graduated from Lehigh University and University of Pennsylvania Law School.  He had served the United States Army in World War II.  After that, he had built a large civil and criminal practice based on a well-deserved reputation as an outstanding lawyer. His wife Jean predeceases him, but he left behind four sons, including Joe and Jim.  He and Jim formed Ritter and Ritter when Jim graduated from law school. Joe had his real estate office adjoining Ernie’s at 5th and Linden.  I was right across the street and in his office daily. I don’t think I have ever known a more fair or more honest person — not just a lawyer. His nickname at the Bar was “the Prussian”.  But he had a heart of gold not stone.  A story from Ernie’s earlier career illustrates the point.

There was a terrible killing in Allentown by a man named Rufus Keller.  Ernie and a fellow lawyer were appointed to represent Keller.  Ernie led the defense.  Nevertheless, Keller was sentenced to death. Shortly before the sentence was to be carried out, the ACLU came to Ernie and paid him $1000.00, to take a desperate last ditch appeal to the Board of Pardons.  He didn’t have to, but he brought his co-counsel back into the case and told him that he would split the $1000.00. Ernie wrote the entire brief and then appeared before the board.  He told me his appearance was the most brutal of his professional career.  The chairman of the board even asked him how he could appear before them on behalf of such a despicable person as Keller.  After more bashing, Ernie was allowed to sit down.  The district attorney, Kenneth Koch (later a famous president judge), rose and was congratulated by the board for convicting a monster like Keller.  At that point, it was time for rebuttal.  It was the only task Ernie had asked his co-counsel to perform.  Co-counsel rose and said solemnly, “I have nothing to add,” and sat down.  Keller went to the chair, and Ernie split the fee evenly, as promised, and laughed at himself for years afterwards, but Ernie had kept his word.

There was a lot more to Ernie Ritter then these few anecdotes.  His career started in 1938, and extended until 2008.  I worked with him on all kinds of cases in the 60’s and 70’s, but most of all, I appreciated his advice on ethical matters. In the 60’s, there was no formal Ethics Board or rules.  We were at the mercy of the Bar Association and the President Judge.  However, when I got into a sticky, ethical situation, I walked across the street and talked to Ernie Ritter.  He was the ultimate straight arrow, and at the same time, he knew how to manage a practice and its clients. If there was a possible fair and just way out of a problem, Ernie would suggest it.  If not, he did not mince words.  He told you what you could do, as well as what you could not do.  That kind of a colleague is of inestimable value to any lawyer, let alone to a young lawyer.

Ernie is gone now.  He passed away March 14th, 2009.  He was a good lawyer, a good friend and a good Democrat to the end.  Actually, he was a really great lawyer in all ways and at all times.  I will miss Ernie and will never forget him.

MS. MAURER:  Thank you.  Mr. Fonzone?

MR. FONZONE:  May it please the Court, our distinguished Senior Judges, members of the Bar Association and officers, honored guests, friends, and especially the family of John P. Thomas, who has offered me the great honor and privilege of speaking to you this morning about his life and career. John P. Thomas was a quiet man of remarkable accomplishment.  Some of this courtroom will be surprised by how much John achieved starting from very humble beginnings.  He was born March 23, 1932, in Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania. He grew up in the town of Plymouth, Pennsylvania, where his father was a coal miner.  John was from, quite frankly, a poor family.  There were three boys in the family, and they would have to divide a quart of milk weekly among them.

John, from his earliest years, was stubborn, always challenging his teachers at Plymouth High School, and consequently, doing poorly in school, but John P. Thomas discovered his life’s ambition at only 15. He was called to court as a witness in an assault and battery case.  There, he saw the trial of a young man accused of assaulting a relative.  John assumed the young man was guilty.  But he was fascinated how the defense attorney proved the relative had actually provoked the incident by attacking his client with a beer bottle.  At that moment, John Thomas knew he just had to be a lawyer.

His family really was not equipped to finance a college education, moreover, John had not excelled in high school.  How could a college ever accept him?  How to accomplish his dream? John took a job in a tomato factory.  He worked as a truck loader, a grocery clerk, a dishwasher and a handyman to earn money to work toward his dream. After scrimping and saving, he convinced the deans at Mansfield State Teachers College to give him a trial semester.  That semester he made dean’s list. Unfortunately, he was in a horrible auto accident and had to leave school.  They say every cloud has a silver lining and John, ever motivated and self-directed, used his financial recovery from the auto accident to go back and finish college.

Continuing his hard work ethic, he juggled three jobs while attending college, graduated number two in his college class with dean’s list honors and was mentioned in Who’s Who in American Colleges and Universities.  Still, John did not have the means to start law school, but being ever practical, John determined to join the Army so that he could take advantage of the GI Bill. Carefully plotting the course of his life, John had one other task he wished to accomplish before shipping out to Japan and Korea.  On December 4th, 1954, he married his college sweetheart, Nancy Rose Eno.  It was a well-reasoned decision, as they were married 54 years and raised a family of three sons and a daughter.

At the time of his death on September 23rd, 2009, John still spoke of his love for Nancy.

When he came back from the military, John worked for a year teaching high school English and History.  The young couple lived in Wellsboro, and those of you who have visited that lovely town, can imagine what a thrill it was for them — a Disneyland-like setting — two young people starting their lives together. While in the service, John actually did some pro-wrestling.  You wouldn’t think that pro-wrestling would come in handy in a town that has a park with a fountain with a cement boat containing Wynken, Blynken and Nod as passengers.  John formed the first Wellsboro High School wrestling team, which went undefeated in its maiden season.  Stories of him driving his car behind the team while they did their work-out runs are still mentioned by his former partner, Attorney Martin Karess.

John and Nancy were happy with their life in Wellsboro, but John was not fulfilling his life-long goal to practice law.  In fact, while teaching and coaching, he also worked nights in the Law Office of Wellsboro, Attorney Henry Rockwell, who later became his preceptor.  In pursuit of what was now their dream, John and Nancy moved to Carlisle to enable John to enroll in Dickinson Law School.

This poor high school student excelled at Dickinson, was a member of the Law Review, and graduated among the top ten of his class, earning a J.D.S. degree. By now, you should be getting the picture of a man who knew what he wanted and was rather direct in achieving his goals.  His wife, Nancy, was his able partner and confidante. In what was not a surprising move for this husband and wife team, upon graduation from law school, John and Nancy loaded their 1958 Rambler with all their earthly possessions, their German Shepherd and the $13.00 they had between them.  They drove to Allentown to the Law Offices of Walker and Walker.  John asked for a job and was hired on the spot and began working before he had taken the bar exam.

In short order, Walker and Walker became Walker, Walker and Thomas.  Starting work in a place that was not his hometown, nor having connections, both John and Nancy told me they survived by John going to a lot of J.P. hearings.  On those fees and Nancy’s earnings, they pressed forward. John developed as an attorney, and the firm became known as Walker, Thomas and Karess.  It grew to Walker, Thomas, Karess, Lipson and Zieger, and eventually, had nine members, which at the time, was a sizeable firm in Allentown. At this point, if I have not given you any idea of who John Thomas was, let me assure you he was bright, direct and to the point.  I base these observations on direct experience. In 1971, I came to the Walker Firm for an interview.  Boyd Walker spent a little time with me. However, I spent time with Attorney Rudy Zieger, Attorney Don Lipson, and Attorney Marty Karess, all of whom were members of the firm and encouraging to a possible new associate.  Before I concluded my round of interviews, I was taken to see John Thomas. His direct style was somewhat intimidating, in that, without getting up from his desk or shaking hands in a manner of greeting, he told me he didn’t know if he wanted another attorney in his firm because an additional attorney would cause office expenses to go up.  They would have to get another phone and make provisions for secretarial help. Was he testing a new attorney for a reaction?  I came to know that the direct approach was John Thomas. That style served him well as a defense attorney.  He handled many criminal and automobile defense cases, and at the time, was one of the leading workmen’s compensation lawyers in the area.

He was an aggressive, bright litigator, who also served as Solicitor for the Borough of Emmaus from 1966 to 1976.  In addition, he was the first Solicitor for Lehigh County’s new form of government from 1978 to 1983. Again, some in this room may have difficulty relating to Lehigh County having only one Solicitor.  He was ahead of most attorneys of the time utilizing a phone relay so that he could do county business while away from the county office.  I understand that sounds quite archaic to a generation that is familiar with cell phones and e-mail, but in his time, this was unique.

This is not to say that John willingly accepted all of the changes that were developing in the courts.  Just as in high school, he sometimes proved challenging.  He did not willingly accept the changes in discovery and trial procedure.  There was the time he sent a younger member of the firm to a pre-trial before Judge Martin Coyne. Pre-trial memos were relatively new, and this particular case had $45,000 worth of property damage composed of many small items like a $1.00 screwdriver and a $5.00 hammer.  John’s instructions, which I am sure he knew would not sit well with the Judge, were not to stipulate to anything.  The associate, though young, sensed the court’s displeasure, but John’s strategy worked as the case resolved on favorable terms for his client without trial.

John was every inch a lawyer.  I am told by John’s son, Alan, while John was a thoughtful and caring father, he was ever a lawyer.  When he asked his dad for something, John would always ask him:  Why do you want that?  Can you do without it?  Will you take care of it? Alan felt he always had to prove his need for his request.  Today, Alan realizes his dad was preparing him for life. But this is not to suggest or even hint that John was all work and no play.  He enjoyed spending time with his family, playing golf, bowling and watching Monday night football at the Pennsylvania Restaurant. He and Nancy wanted a child and had the opportunity to start a family by adopting his son Richard.  As is frequently the case, following the adoption of Richard, Alan was born within ten months. Five years later, their twins, Jean and John, Jr., were born.  All five, the children and Nancy, will tell you of the love and joy within the family. John and Richard joined a golf league, and Richard tells me John was a much better teacher of golf than a player.  In addition, at that time, there was also a men’s team in the merchant’s league for bowling, and John and Richard bowled together with Attorney Ted Gillespie and his son. Richard and Alan of course, being close in age, would visit John at the old Commonwealth Building, with which many of you are familiar with but would not recognize, as it was back in the 1970’s.  The building was three floors higher than it is today, and Richard and Alan would go up and down in its tiny elevator.

An attorney, and there were many of them in the Commonwealth Building at that time, saw them, and said to Richard, “you must be John’s son.”  When asked why, the lawyer responded, “because you look like him.” Richard, to this day, believes that was a very high compliment. As indicated, John loved to golf, and for years at the Bar picnic would be part of the foursome, which included Rudy Zieger, Eddie McCardle and our own Judge Black. He was a sharp-witted, smart guy.  Rudy Zieger, who was first in the State Bar Exam, can tell you about the time he had a case where someone had caused damage to land, but Rudy Zieger had no idea how to prove the case.  Upon hearing the facts, John quickly explained to Rudy the concept of “trespass quare clausum fregit”, which is “trespass wherefore he broke the close”.  To this day, Rudy Zieger will explain to you, in amazement, John’s knowledge of this cause of action, which led to a recovery on Rudy’s part for his client.

Even more indicative of John’s lawyering ability, the case of the Commonwealth v Mr. M.  And this is a real case.  You can find it at (188 A.2d 816).  A neighbor’s cat was disturbing Mr. M.  Night after night, the cat made ungodly noises while sitting on a fence near Mr. M’s home.  Mr. M, in exasperation, called his lawyer, and after repeated calls over weeks and months, he determined to shoot the cat.  A swift jury trial before Judge Kenneth Koch followed, in which the Commonwealth was represented by its most able district attorney, and its most able first assistant.  A conviction followed.  Displaying the stubbornness of a bull, the heart of a lion, and the intellect of Einstein, all traits essential to a criminal defense attorney, John Thomas appealed the case to the Pennsylvania Superior Court, where the judgment was arrested and Mr. M. discharged because the Superior Court agreed with Attorney Thomas that the statute in play, which provided penalties for injuring, killing or poisoning domestic animals, did not include a cat.  At that time, cats were not defined by the Legislature as domestic animals.

No eulogy would be complete without mentioning John’s flair for the dramatic.  Imagine the masted sailing ships that you often see in movies.  For you older attorneys, you may think of “Mutiny on the Bounty” with Charles Laughton.  Younger attorneys may thing of “Master and Commander” with Russell Crowe. Picture the captain’s quarters in those movies.  Think of rich, dark oaken floors.  Not windows, but glass portholes, and heavy planked doors held together with brass metal hinges. Now, imagine this in a law office.  John designed this office, bringing to life whatever dreams he had of sailing ships.  When you walked through the heavy door, you were greeted by dark wooden floors, which resembled a ship’s deck, walls — or should we call them “bulkheads” — which were made of wood, and portholes, not windows, provided light in the office. Immediately upon entry into his office, you would see a huge, and I mean huge, fish tank to your right.  You would immediately notice that there was no desk but a counter where John could stand and take notes.  There was a stool for his clients, and behind the counter, a table and a chair for John. It was a most unique office and one that — if you ever saw it, you would not forget it — for a most unique man.  It was certainly emblematic of John Thomas.  A bold statement of one who was his own man.

My own personal view of John Thomas was not, however, Charles Laughton nor Russell Crowe.  He reminded me more of a Robert Mitchum sort of person. John was big, he was tough, and he was intimidating, but he was quiet.  He lived his life with determination and strength displaying authority, but he had an underlying soft spot. This compassion manifested itself in unheralded pro bono work.  The names of the people he helped will not be mentioned here, but his efforts on their behalf will always be remembered.  His daughter, Jean Marie will tell you:”Dad taught compassion.  He took on a pro bono case for an elderly woman with no family.  Someone had been hurt on the broken sidewalk in front of her house and had sued her.  John took the case and won. Thereafter, she became a part of the family, like a third grandmother.  John took her to appointments when she needed a ride.  All of the children visited her and made drawings for her.  She came to their home for all of the holidays, and especially, her birthday, a birth date she shared with John.  She remained a part of the family until she passed away, and all of the family had been enriched because of John’s willingness to welcome her into the family.”

As children, they did not feel a wall of separation between John’s work and their family life. There were frequent visits to his office, especially on weekends.  They would meet the people he worked with, and he would tell them about his cases.  They especially loved going to the cafeteria in the court house. I told you John was tough.  He endured by-pass surgery, double knee surgery, and finally, was diagnosed with cancer.  But he did not give in.  He still continued to function, getting around with the use of a walker.  And then, a week before his death, he had a stroke.  Surrounded by his family, and aware of them at the time of his death, Nancy will tell you that John was appreciative of everything that was done for him.

This was the life of John T. Thomas.  He left a legacy to be proud of in his 54-year marriage, a close relationship with his wife and children, a well-respected legal craftsman, unique but effective. In going through John’s family’s memorabilia, I found a note written by John’s son, John Jr.: “There is no way I can ever thank you enough for all you have ever meant to me.  I love you, both as a father, and a very good friend, and one of my best buddies.  Your son, John.”  Thank you.

MS. MAURER:  Thank you, Chuck.  And now, I’d like to introduce past President of the Bar Association, Attorney Zeller.

MR. ZELLER:  May it please the Court? President Judge Platt, Honorable Judges, distinguished guests, friends and family, thank you for this honor to talk about my friend and partner, Tom.  He was a courageous member and former President of the Bar Association.

Thomas Clifford Sadler, Jr., was born in Allentown on October 10th, 1943, to Tom and Lorraine Mae Sadler.  He graduated from William Allen High School, which forged an immediate bond with me, especially when confronting some of our other partners from other local schools or transplanted from New York. The “Canary” just didn’t give us a lot of good material, but we stood strong.  Personally, I think Tom would have felt more comfortable in Parkland School District, where he would reside for many years, but at Allen, he would meet his match, Cindy.  So, that was clearly the best for Tom. They would marry on June 18th, 1966, after Tom graduated from Gettysburg College, which only served to strengthen our personal bond, since my wife was also a proud graduate of Gettysburg.  He definitely liked her more than he liked me.

Tom would then attend Temple University School of Law and write for the Law Review.  He graduated in 1968, and would be admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar Association that same year. Illuminative of his character and courage, his chosen profession would yield to a higher mission.

Tom enlisted in the Army, where he would become a captain.  In 1970, he was in Vietnam, and little did he know that the exposure to the vagaries of war would lead to the cancer, which claimed his life. His accomplishments in the Army were recognized in his award of the Bronze Star Medal.  This prestigious medal award cited to his service in setting up an advanced logistical command post during the 1970, Cambodian Incursion, and later, to his work as Assistant Judge Advocate.

Tom would return from Vietnam in 1971, to propagate his career and family.  He became an associate attorney with the law firm of Morgan, Lewis and Bockius and be admitted to the Third Circuit as well as the East and Middle Districts of the Federal Court. He would cherish the birth of his two children, Reid and Kristen.  Kristen was the glimmer in his eye, and Reid made his chest swell.  In 1970, he and Cindy returned to their roots back to Allentown.  He became an associate attorney with Butz Hudders & Tallman.  In short order, he became a partner and was recognized as a formidable litigator.  He would become a founding partner of the law firm of Tallman Hudders & Sorrentino in 1989.

It was the summer of 1990, when I became a law clerk, when I first met Tom.  After I became an associate in 1992, I would learn more of the importance of Tom to the fabric of our firm.  Looking from the outside, perhaps our firm is viewed as the stark, big business law firm camaraderie challenged.  Knowing Tom, and the threads of his character, easily dispose of such concepts. Tom’s door was always open, and if available, he would always answer his own phone.  For those unfamiliar with our firm, we had weekly Friday happy hours and monthly dinners with all of the attorneys.  While you generally tried to seat yourself near him, if you’re having a bad day or a bad week, the shroud of his company was a necessity.  You had to get close to him.

To his assistant, Karen Dietrich, and paralegal, LeAnn Diehl, like many others in our firm, he was family.  Words cannot describe his sense of humor, especially with certain Christmas party snapshots I still have in my head of him.  Being a Geisha one year or his easy rider motorcycle were my favorites. If Tom saw you walking by his office, and he had a new joke or a funny video, he could just not contain himself, and he had to share.  We especially had great fun with Tom when Cindy would leave town, and Tom in his Garanimal suits.  You have to understand, Tom was colorblind.  We would have a lot of fun with that.  So, Cindy, we’re glad you’re around. This sense of humor was merely a coping mechanism for the tremendous weight he bore because of how much he cared for his clients and their problems. This passion drove him to become a great attorney.  He was one of the few attorneys to actually try a Cercla case.  He was defense counsel in a well-recognized and reported case involving the Pennsylvania Storage Prevention Act.  He was admitted to the United States Supreme Court. His passion for his clients transcended the law and pervaded the community.  He was very involved in the Minsi Trails Boy Scouts & and the Wildlands Conservancy to name a few.  He represented the Bar Association at these Bar Memorials in 1998, and was the President of the Bar Association of Lehigh County.  He was a Master of the Donald Wieand Inn of Court and was appointed to various Civil Rules Committees in Lehigh County.

Above everything else, Tom was deeply devoted to his family.  Cindy, he loved you so much, and I’m deeply saddened for your loss.  Kristen, I know he was your security blanket and how much you will miss him.  Reid and his wife Kim could not attend, and their children, Braden and Logan, Tom’s grandchildren, were the new center of Tom’s kindness and generosity. He cherished teaching them his favorite hobby, fishing, and looked forward to teaching them golf.  Alas, if you ever saw Tom’s swing, maybe some things are bitter sweet.

Last year, Tom contracted an aggressive form of cancer that took his life on December 29th of 2009. Before his death, in November, Tom addressed all of our firm to profess his love of us and to say his goodbyes. At his funeral, a speaker aptly referred to a quote of Robert F. Kennedy, after he thought about Tom’s career and his life.  I’d like to share the full quote with you now.

“Courage is the most important attribute of a lawyer.  It is more important than competence or vision.  It can never be an elective in any law school. It can never be delimited, dated or outworn, and it should pervade the heart, the halls of justice, and the chambers of the mind.”

Honorable Judges, distinguished guests, friends, Cindy, Kristen, I commend you to your courageous lawyer and a great individual, Thomas C. Sadler, Jr.

MS. MAURER:  Thank you, Ted.  I want to thank all of our speakers for taking the time to express their thoughts, their experiences, and their memories of our colleagues and contributing to the celebration of their lives.  I want to thank the family members for sharing in our tradition, and to the audience and our colleagues and friends who are present for also joining in our tradition.  On behalf of our association, I invite all of you to stay for refreshments outside the courtroom. Judge Platt?

PRESIDENT JUDGE PLATT:  The Court wishes to thank the Bar Association for continuing this tradition, John Baker, for his hard work at this ceremony and all the ceremonies in the past, for making this a success for both the Court and the Bar Association.  To the speakers who have eloquently painted a picture of our departed colleagues, I would like to thank them for continuing this tradition and allowing us to share in the lives of our departed members.

The Official Court Reporter is directed to transcribe the notes of testimony and make a digital copy of the memorial available to the Bar Association of Lehigh County.  We first did this in 2002, and all of those memorials since then have been available on the home page of the Bar Association,

Anyone interested in a copy, will be able to read, print, or download it from that site.

Are there any members of the court who wish to say anything?  If not, then we will adjourn this

ceremony, and when we do so, it will be out of respect for our departedcolleagues.

MR. RABER:  Please rise.  This Court is adjourned.

*   *   *

(Proceedings concluded.)

I hereby certify that the proceedings are contained fully and accurately in the notes taken by me in the ceremony of the above cause and that this is a correct transcript of the same.

March 16th, 2010

Cara Harris

Official Court Reporter